Sunday, October 23, 2011

Ebook review: "Destiny Binds" by Tammy Blackwell

Destiny Binds Product Description from Amazon:
Scout Donovan is a girl who believes in rules, logic, and her lifelong love of Charlie Hagan. Alex Cole believes in destiny, magic, and Scout. When Alex introduces Scout to the world of Shifters, men who change into wolves or coyotes during the full moon and Seers, women who can see your most private thoughts and emotions with a mere touch, the knowledge changes everything and everyone Scout thought she knew.

I got this book because it was cheap and I needed something on my Kindle to read on a road trip. I wasn't expecting much. I've read some really terrible ebooks lately, and I wasn't getting my hopes up.
I was so happy to find myself really enjoying Destiny Binds! Sure, it's been done before: werewolves, the girl's best guy friend is in love with her, she's in love with someone else, he's dangerous and she should stay away but she can't, etc. But here's the thing...Tammy Blackwell has created such a funny and charming heroine in Scout Donovan that I didn't care if the storyline wasn't very original. I actually laughed outloud a lot.
There were some editing problems (ex: imaging instead of imagining, missing words, punctuation issues), but nothing so obvious as to distract from the story or make it hard to follow. I especially liked how Scout's brother was part of something mysterious at the first of the book and wished the author had played up that aspect a bit more. Scout vows to investigate and figure out what's going on, but she really doesn't do much along that line and solves the mystery pretty quickly and simply. However, that's not a major problem and I got over it quickly because I loved her sweet romance with Alex. It was perfect. I loved their Secret Relationship Game, Scout's sneaky little sister, and Scout's snarky but still witty remarks. Sometimes sarcastic characters become downright unlikeable, but not Scout.
The ending was a perfect cliffhanger. I thought all was lost...until the very last setence! I'm so happy it's going to be a trilogy. Seriously, this book is every bit as good as most of the YA paranormals I've read this year (and I've read a TON of them). I hope Blackwell publishes the sequel soon. Get past the boring cover art and enjoy this funny and romantic book!
Rating: Four Cupcakes
sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Design by Poppies Blooming, London, UK 2012
Back to TOP