Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"Hourglass" by Myra McEntire Review






Hourglass




One hour to rewrite the past . . . 

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.



I'm usually not a fan of time-travel in books. When Hermione broke out the Time Turner in the third Harry Potter book (something Myra McEntire briefly mentions in Hourglass with sly wit, by the way) I needed migraine medication. But I instantly liked Emerson, the main character of Hourglass. I can deal with a lot of plot oddities if the characters are well-written. 

There are lots of reviews with plot summaries already posted, so I'll jump straight into the pros/cons. 
What I Liked: I loved the cleanness of the romance. 
There were plot twists I just didn't see coming, and the pacing of the book was steady and fast enough without being too rushed. 
I really got who Em was as a character, and I found her snarky, defensive humor funny and not obnoxious. I was smiling and laughing to myself frequently. 
Mercifully, there is no cliffhanger ending! I'm so tired of turning the last page of a book and getting absolutely no sense of closure. Hourglass has plenty of plot threads that can be picked up for future installments of the series, but it also ends with enough finality so you aren't left hanging.

Things I Wasn't Crazy About: 
Ok, Michael's best bud Kaleb is smooth putting the moves on Em from the get-go. I didn't enjoy that, but I kind of liked the character of Kaleb anyway. McEntire did a good job of showing how his particular gift and the tragedies in his life contributed to Kaleb being such a player. 
Michael, Em's mentor/love interest, needed to be a bit more fleshed out. He was a wee bit too good to be true. 
Emerson can see "time ripples" (aka "rips), which are people from the past. One of them is Jack, and he's not acting like the typical rips. I didn't really buy Em's reasoning for keeping Jack's visits a secret from Michael. If a mysterious person from the past (maybe?) keeps turning up in your room being all cryptic and weird, wouldn't you tell the guy who is helping you understand your ability to see the rips? 
I'm not entirely sure why we learned about Lilly, Em's BFF, having her own gift unless it's going to be featured in a sequel maybe? 

I really liked Hourglass, almost in spite of myself. Humor and a sweet romance can make me overlook a lot of things, even the complexities of time travel. 


4 Cupcakes
*Review also posted on Amazon.com
sarah

1 comment:

  1. I loved this one!! I do expect a lot of questions I was left with will be answered in the next one. I can't wait for it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Web Design by Poppies Blooming, London, UK 2012
Back to TOP