Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"The Iron Daughter" by Julie Kagawa

The Iron Daughter (text only) Original edition by J. Kagawa
If you enjoyed this book's prequel, The Iron King, then you'll like The Iron Daughter too. For me, it was a lot more of the same. Meghan facing danger, escaping danger, not knowing how to use her glamour (at least we found out why that is) longing for and sometimes being angry with Ash, and Puck being in love with her. I'm not a big fan of love triangles, but this one in particular bothered me. I felt like Meghan was just using Puck to get over Ash, although she claimed she does love him...just in a different way than she loves Ash. (I am so, so sorry to bring up Twilight because so many reviews do for just about every book in the YA genre, but Puck's love for his bff Meghan and her obsession with chilly Ash was just too much like Jacob/Bella/Edward to miss.) 
Speaking of Ash, I know he has some serious emotional baggage, but I find him hard to like for much of the book. I'm pretty sure repeatedly telling a girl you will kill her if necessary isn't good boyfriend material. That said, he is an interesting character with all his flaws and issues. Seeing how much he cared for his first true love humanized him somewhat. Still, I hope his feelings for her are resolved in the next book or in the fourth one, The Iron Knight. Who wants to have the hero of the story still pining for his dead ex? 
The story line follows Meghan through her attempts to prevent the Iron fey from destroying all of the Nevernever and stopping the war they have engineered between the Winter and Summer courts. I never really cared for the quest aspect of the story. I know this sounds awful, but the faeries as a whole have been terrible to Meghan, and the Winter court in particular is brutal toward humans. Even the Summer court is, at best, callously indifferent to the world outside faerie. (I mean, Oberon just wanders around having kids with mortal women and never caring much about them, and that's just one example.) I kept wondering why Meghan cared so much about the fate of the faery realms. 
Although the plot and romance left me a little cold, I have to give Julie Kagawa credit for writing the most elaborately described, intricate scene details I've read in a long, long time. When she's telling what a room looks like, don't skim. It's worth your time to see what creative things she'll come up with next.
sarah

1 comment:

  1. I just got an ARC of THE IRON KNIGHT, so I'm finally going to read this series. I've heard so much about it that I'm excited to dive in.

    Glad to have found your blog via One Librarian's Book Reviews blog!

    ReplyDelete

Web Design by Poppies Blooming, London, UK 2012
Back to TOP