Thursday, October 27, 2011

"Supernaturally" by Kiersten White, Paranormalcy series book 2


Supernaturally (Paranormalcy)

Supernaturally (Paranormalcy)
by Kiersten White


Product Description from Amazon: Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be... kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.
But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.








Evie is finally living a normal life, and she's getting bored. She doesn't have the same sense of purpose she did when she worked for IPCA, so when they ask her back for a few contract jobs Evie is excited to pick up Tasey (her bedazzled Paranormal bad-guy taser) and get to work. This review may contain SPOILERS!* Things I didn't like: *There is still too much "so" and "totally" and "bleep," the little vocal tics of Evie's that kind of got on my nerves in Paranormalcy. There seem to be even more of them in this book. *I found myself getting really frustrated with Evie at times because she seemed so darn whiny. She was getting dangerously close to the YA heroine stereotype of "Oh, I have no life without my fabulous perfect amazing paranormal boyfriend!!" Fortunately, she did get over this a bit toward the end of the book. * One of the things I enjoyed in Paranormalcy was that Evie was honest with Lend and tells him the truth even if it might cause problems in their relationship. That goes out the window in this book for most part. *I still don't understand why Evie freaked out so utterly upon learning about her origins. I guess it was so her later revelation that who she is and how she will be is her decision, no matter what she is (or isn't) would be more powerful? Still, I found myself thinking her leaping into the Faerie Realms with Jack was an overreaction.
Things I did like:
*Glad we learned how Evie was made to be an Empty One for the faeries.
*I like her complicated relationship with Vivian, and how Kiersten White balances the way personal choice versus how they were raised to think and act combine to make characters who they are. I appreciate that Viv took responsibility for her actions in the previous book.
*Every now and then, Evie will make an observation of surprising depth. She's a girl who loves all things sparkly and pink, but she is also capable of some pretty insightful thinking on occasion and I like that in a character.
* Kiersten White still cracks me up. She has created a great voice for Evie, and for the most part I find her a fun character to spend time with. Example: Evie is worried about getting in trouble at school and also about Lend having a pretty dryad lab partner at college. "I was so, so dead. I was going to be expelled and then I'd never get into Georgetown, and I'd work at the diner for the rest of my life and Lend would marry the dryad lab assistant and they'd have half-tree-and-one-quarter-water-thing babies, and no one would know quite what they were but they'd be beautiful. And I'd serve them french fries when they came home to visit." That kind of inner monologue sums up Evie as a person pretty well. :)
*I liked how the book ended with an interesting set up for the final installment, Endlessly: What, if anything, will Evie do about the faeries? I think this book established that they are evil and I hope she will decide to open a gate and send them somewhere else. I'm glad she didn't do what Jack wanted her to, but I really hope she doesn't just let them continue to exist in close proximity to the human world where they can show up and cause harm when she has the power to do something about it.
*I have a hunch we will learn more about Evie's mom in the next book, and I hope she will be able to have a relationship with her. I liked that she finally accepted her relationship with Raquel for the sweet but strange thing it is, and understood that Raquel loves her in her own way, but I really want her to have her mother in her life at some point.
So overall, I liked more about the book than I didn't like and the whole premise is so different than a lot of YA books I've read. (Thank goodness there wasn't a love triangle, for one thing!) I think some of the freshness in the characters is gone for me, but I still found it an enjoyable read.
Rating: 3.5 Cupcakes
sarah

1 comment:

Web Design by Poppies Blooming, London, UK 2012
Back to TOP