Monday, November 14, 2011

Review: "Inside Out" by Maria V. Snyder

Keep Your Head Down.Don't Get Noticed.Or Else.
I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.

I got this book mainly because everyone kept talking about THE TWIST...a mind-blowing plot twist that no one saw coming.
There were actually several interesting plot twists in the book, and while I found it an engaging and entertaining story I actually suspected most of the big revelations before they came.
I won't give a plot summary since so many have done that very well before me, so here's what I liked:
It's a clean book. Very minimal profanity (I can't really remember any off the top of my head) and no sexual scenes. It was a page turner and kept me reading, eager to see what happened next. I really got the feeling of claustrophobia and overcrowding Snyder was writing about when Trella has to navigate through her daily life.
Things I didn't like so much: The plot is very fast moving, and while that's great I would've like a little more character development and world building. I'm thinking about the slower pace in "The City of Ember" (another book featuring an enclosed, totally self-contained society) and how deeply invested I was in the characters.
Riley was kind of bland for my taste. The romantic interest between him and Trella came out of nowhere. I'm guessing this relationship is more developed int the sequel, Outside In. I might check it out of the library, but probably won't buy it.
sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Design by Poppies Blooming, London, UK 2012
Back to TOP