Monday, November 14, 2011

Review: "The Reckoning" by Kelly Armstrong (Darkest Powers series, book 3)

The gripping finale to the New York Times bestselling Darkest Powers trilogy!
In the end, there's always a reckoning.
Chloe Saunders's life is not what you would call normal. First of all, she can't figure out how she feels about a certain antisocial werewolf or his charming brother—who just happens to be a sorcerer. Then there's the fact that she's running for her life from an evil corporation that's trying to kill her and her supernatural friends. And finally, she's a genetically altered necromancer who can raise the dead, rotting corpses and all, without even trying.
Not normal.
But Chloe has a plan. And the end is very near.

While I did enjoy The Reckoning, I thought it wasn't as strong as it could have been. I feel like Armstrong purposefully left some threads dangling, as if she might want to revisit these characters in a future series. I'd be fine with that, because I enjoy Chloe's character and there is a lot about her and her powers that could still be explored. I just wish this book had done more to resolve some of the things that had become major elements in the series. Chloe's best friend, Rachelle, has a storyline that ends in an unsatisfying manner. I don't understand why such a big deal was made about who Tori's biological father was, and then this was never addressed by any of the characters. Once the Edison Group is handled (and bravo for the way Mrs. Enright is taken out!), the group immediately has to start running again from a Cabal that sort of cropped up out of nowhere. And we never did learn what the deal was with Chloe's necklace. I also wanted her to have some sort of closure with her father.
I really liked how the romantic triangle played out, and the character development of Chloe and Derek in particular was well done. There was a lot of action in this book, just like in the previous two, and the good guys won while the bad guys all got what was coming to them. I liked The Reckoning, but I didn't love it.
*Note: Since reading this, I read the first book in Armstrong's next YA series, "The Gathering" and it looks like the kids from Darkest Powers will be dropping in for future installments of that series. I hope so, at least, because there needs to be a wee bit more closure to their stories.
sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Design by Poppies Blooming, London, UK 2012
Back to TOP