Friday, November 9, 2012

Feature and Follow Friday




Q: Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings or pulled-to-publish fanfic?


A: I don't mind similar ideas. I read PRINCESS OF THE MIDNIGHT BALL and ENTWINED very close together, and they're both retellings of the 12 Dancing Princesses fairytales. That said, if I read books based on similar ideas, one will always be "better" than the other in my mind. I think comparison is just inevitiable when reading books with obvious similarities.
Retellings: Yes! I'm a fan. If they're super-creative, all the better. I think that's why I loved CINDER by Marissa Meyer so dang much.
 (BTW, I'm giving it away. Enter if you haven't already!! Button that links to the Giveaway page is at the top under my header!)
Fanfic: No. I once read where JK Rowling said something like reading fanfic of her work reminded her of coming home and finding all her furniture rearranged. (Can't remember the exact quote, but it was something like that!) I guess I feel the same way as a reader. Just leave things like they are so I don't trip over a chair when I'm trying to find my way around! :)



sarah

12 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the fanfic front!

    New Follower!
    Kristen @OCA

    I love your blog layout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it's always great to have a new follower! :)

      Delete
  2. Great answer! I loved Cinder too such a great book and I can't wait for Scarlet to come out next year! I'm not fussed on fanfic either and love JK Rowlings quote!

    Thanks for following! Following in return via GFC!
    Becca @ Lost in Thought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! I can hardly wait for Scarlet either. All the ARC reviews make me sick with jealousy!
      Also: Why don't we have fun phrases like "not fussed on" in the US!? I guess our version would be "not big on fanfic." See...it's so boring in comparison! :)

      Delete
  3. I am the same. Retellings are one thing, but fanfic just sets my teeth on edge. It is just someone trying to ride on the original author's coat tails when they can't come up with something original. New follower through GFC. I am participating in FF too, and mine is
    right over here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Answer! Ive never read fanfic for pretty much that reason. If i loved a series enough that i wanted to read more of it, I only want to read it if its coming from the author, ya know? It seems a bit weird to trust a random person to do justice to a series ive loved. I havent read Cinder,or any fairytale retellings i dont think! Should probably get on that, ive heard Cinder is amazing.
    Old follower!
    MY FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you must read it, Lani! I was hesitant at first but I'm so glad I got over my cyborg prejudice and read it! LOL!

      Delete
  5. Good answer.
    New follower & I love your blog! :)
    Megan @ BooksiView

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually don't mind as long as there is some originality - something different, even if the books are a similar concept.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love retellings too! I have always loved fairy tales and mythology, so retellings are just a treat for me! Can't get enough and still have a ton to read!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, I love your blog design! The colors and the artsy header are so pretty! :)
    I also can't agree more with your answer. I LOVE retellings of fairy tales, classics and myths, as long as there is some originality. But publishing fan fiction is uncreative and unrespectful to the original author. It's a big no for me!
    New follower :)

    Judith @ Paper Riot

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a good answer and read Entwined a while ago, and really liked it :)
    - New Follower :)
    Marissa @ http://www.fortheloveoffilmandnovels.com/

    ReplyDelete

Web Design by Poppies Blooming, London, UK 2012
Back to TOP