Friday, August 16, 2013

The Dark Unwinding by Sharon Cameron: Review Tour!

Y'all!!! Remember how I loved The Dark Unwinding? No??
Here's the review....






Summary:
A spine-tingling tale of steampunk and spies, intrigue and heart-racing romance!

When Katharine Tulman's inheritance is called into question by the rumor that her eccentric uncle is squandering away the family fortune, she is sent to his estate to have him committed to an asylum. But instead of a lunatic, Katharine discovers a genius inventor with his own set of rules, who employs a village of nine hundred people rescued from the workhouses of London.

Katharine is now torn between protecting her own inheritance and preserving the peculiar community she grows to care for deeply. And her choices are made even more complicated by a handsome apprentice, a secretive student, and fears for her own sanity.

As the mysteries of the estate begin to unravel, it is clear that not only is her uncle's world at stake, but also the state of England as Katharine knows it. With twists and turns at every corner, this heart-racing adventure will captivate readers with its intrigue, thrills, and romance.

Everyone has certain items of interest that will make them sit up, take notice, and possibly start geeking out in a major way.
Case in point: Dwight K. Shrute can't resist discussions about the following:



(image courtesy of bumperstickerz.com)







And I will be all over any book with
moors.
 mansions.
 and madness.

Maybe it's from my fourth grade obsession with The Secret Garden. Or my junior high love of Jane Eyre (which continues to this day, because let's face it: if you want a strong female first-person YA narrative: Jane Eyre. You can't top that chick.)

You got a creepy old English manor house on the dark, windswept moors and someone off his or her rocker? Giddy up, I am IN!

Did Sharon Cameron get up one morning and say, "I think I'll write a book just for Sarah"? Probably not. But she might as well have.

Things I love about this book:
*Katharine's personal development. She starts out not-entirely-likable. She's kind of a hard case, and it's understandable. She's an orphan, she lives with an uncaring aunt (oh, hey shades of Jane Eyre...just now saw you there!) She is tasked with the distasteful job of declaring her Uncle Tulman mentally incompetent. This would cause him to be placed in an asylum, but would also secure her future means of income.
*How you're never really sure if Katharine is losing her mind or not. I like a little, "Am I going crazy or is there something sinister happening here?" in a book . And I didn't figure out what was really going on until the big reveal.
*It's a "clean" book. No profanity. There's a romance, but it's very sweet and doesn't overtake the main storyline.
*Speaking of romance: I enjoyed the dark broodiness of Lane, although I would've liked just a wee bit more interaction between him and Katharine. However, I do appreciate that they weren't declaring eternal love for one another by the last page. Speaking of which...
*The end! Man, I was trying to figure out how in the world Katharine was going to get out of the situation she found herself in. I couldn't have predicted it. And just like all good Gothic novels, people make choices that have drastic and irreparable consequences. Oh, I am still sad!
*There's a nice setup for a sequel, although it's not exactly a cliffhanger ending. You get closure and the feeling the story is complete, but enough is left unfinished to jump start another book.

Five stars, people!

Here's the deal: The Dark Unwinding releases in paperback this month 
AND....AND!!!....
There's a sequel!!! 
A Spark Unseen...It comes out September 24. 

Want to win a copy? Sharon Camerson is giving away 5 ARCs of A Spark Unseen. 

Enter for your chance to win one with the Rafflecopter below: a Rafflecopter giveaway


I'm going to be partcipating in a blog tour for A Spark Unseen, hosted by Hannah at The Book Vortex. It's gonna be fun, and if you want in go HERE




this is a spoiler...look how cool!)

sarah

3 comments:

  1. Great Review! I haven't heard of this book before but it sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, remember how I can never find review books when I need them because they're all in boxes in my guest room closet? WELL, I just got a HUGE new bookcase (it's 9 feet tall and 12 feet long) and I've been busily putting all (well, most) of my review books in it and guess what? I have a copy of THE DARK UNWINDING! I know you loved it and it sounds like one I'm going to love, too. So, yeah, just thought you'd want to know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! I finished A Spark Unseen last week and I'm just as enchanted by it as I was by The Dark Unwinding. Review to come soon. :)
      I hope you love it! And congrats on those book shelves. I'm picturing you on a big rolling ladder like Belle in Beauty and the Beast, sweeping past your rows of books...maybe singing. I would sing! hahahaha!

      Delete

Web Design by Poppies Blooming, London, UK 2012
Back to TOP